Maximizing the benefits of oyster reef restoration for finfish and their fisheries
Gilby et al. 2018 Fish and Fisheries
Global declines in oyster reefs have resulted in reduced habitat heterogeneity, extent and quality for some coastal finfish, potentially reducing fish populations and catches. It is well established that habitat restoration results in higher finfish biomass and diversity where oyster reefs replace bare substrata. Therefore, restoring oyster reefs with a view to also improving fish stocks is often a key goal of oyster restoration.
Seascape context modifies how fish respond to restored oyster reef structures
Gilby et al. 2019 ICES Journal of Marine Science
The seascape context of coastal ecosystems plays a pivotal role in shaping patterns in fish recruitment, abundance, and diversity. It might also be a principal determinant in structuring the recruitment of fish assemblages to restored habitats, but the trajectories of these relationships require further testing. In this study, we surveyed fish assemblages from 14 restored oyster reefs and 14 control sites in the Noosa River, Queensland, Australia, that differed in the presence or absence of seagrass within 500 m, over four periods using baited cameras.
Spatial Restoration Ecology: Placing Restoration in a Landscape Context
Gilby et al. 2018 Bioscience
Researchers on conservation planning and practice have increasingly recognized and adopted the pivotal role of landscape attributes in shaping the effectiveness of protected areas. However, the degree to which these concepts have been integrated into habitat restoration projects has not been quantified. We reviewed the global literature and found that landscape context was considered in fewer than one in eight restoration projects in the selection of restoration sites (11% of 472 projects).
All oyster reef publications
All of Rod Connolly's publications relating to oyster reefs
- Gilby BL, Olds AD, Brown CJ, Connolly RM, Henderson CJ, Maxwell PS, Schlacher TA (2021) Applying systematic conservation planning to improve the allocation of restoration actions at multiple spatial scales. Restoration Ecology (online April 2021)
- Pittman SJ, Yates KL, Bouchet PJ, Alvarest-Berastegui D, Andrefouet S, Bell SS, Berkstrom C, Bostrom C, Brown CJ, Connolly RM, Devillers R, Eggleston D, Gilby BL, Gullstrom M, Halpern BS, Hidalgo M, Holstein D, Hovel K, Huettmann F, Jackson EL, James WR, Kellner JB, Kot CY, Lecours V, Lepczyk C, Nagelkerken I, Nekson J, Olds AD, Santos RO, Scales KL, Schneider DC, Schilling HT, Simenstad C, Suthers IM, Treml EA, Wedding LM, Yates P, Young M (2021) Seascape ecology: identifying research priorities for an emerging ocean sustaintability science. Marine Ecology Progress Series 663:1-29 PDF
- Giffin AL, Brown CJ, Nalau J, Mackey BG, Connolly RM (2020) Marine and coastal ecosystem-based adaptation in Asia and Oceania: review of approaches and integration with marine spatial planning. Pacific Conservation Biology doi.org/10.1071/PC20025 (online Sep 2020) PDF
- Lopez-Marcano S, Brown CJ, Sievers M, Connolly RM (2020) The slow rise of technology: computer vision techniques in fish population connectivity. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 31:210-217 PDF
- Waltham NJ, Elliott M, Lee SY, Lovelock C, Duarte CM, Buelow C, Simenstad C, Nagelkerken I, Claassens L, Wen CCK, Barletta M, Connolly RM, Gillies C, Mitsch WJ, Ogburn MB, Purandare J, Possingham H, Sheaves M (2020) UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030: what chance for success in restoring coastal ecosystems? Frontiers in Marine Science 7:71 PDF
- Gilby BL, Olds AD, Connolly RM, Henderson CJ, Schlacher TA (2019) Seascape context modifies how fish respond to restored oyster reef structures. ICES Journal of Marine Science 76:1131-1139 PDF
- Duncan CK, Gilby BL, Olds AD, Connolly RM, Ortodossi NL, Henderson CJ, Schlacher TA (2019) Landscape context modifies the rate and distribution of predation around habitat restoration sites. Biological Conservation 237:97-104 PDF
- Gilby BL, Olds AD, Connolly RM, Henderson CJ, Schlacher TA (2018) Spatial restoration ecology: placing restoration in a landscape context. Bioscience 68:1007-1019 PDF
- Gilby BL, Olds AD, Peterson CH, Connolly RM, Voss CM, Bishop MJ, Elliott M, Grabowski JH, Ortodossi NL, Schlacher TA (2018) Maximising the benefits of oyster reef restoration for finfish and their fisheries. Fish and Fisheries 19:931-947 PDF